Thatched Property Insurance

Professional Insurance Packages for All Types Thatched Property.

Welcome to Thatched Property Insurance from AIC

It is essential that thatched property owners find an insurance policy designed for their needs. You must make sure that in the event of a claim, your requirements will be fully covered. We are specialist providers of a range of thatched property insurance policies to homeowners across the UK.

AIC work as an independent insurance broker, which means:

  1. We source the best deals and terms for customers
  2. We work with a network of specialist insurance providers
  3. All our coverage is provided on a bespoke, case-by-case basis
  4. We ensure that customers receive a professional service at a competitive price

We always put the utmost importance on your particular requirements, offering tailor made policies to suit your own individual requirements. You only pay for the cover which you require and our premiums are as low as £175. We’ll design a straightforward policy which works for you.

What does our cover include?

Thatched Households/Cottages

Thatched Holiday Homes

Thatched Taverns/Inns

Thatched Public Houses

Thatched Estates

Grade Listed I, II, II*

Commercial Thatched Properties

What's included?
    1. We’re part of network of Approved Thatcher’s nationally
    2. We are specialists in the fields of heritage and listed buildings
    3. We provide guidance and assistance on Fire Prevention
    4. We offer full new for old cover on buildings and contents
    5. We have assurance and guarantees on Data Protection
    6. We provide every client with a Personal Dedicated account handler who will help at the quotes stage all the way through to claim
  • Our experienced insurers can cover the three common types of thatch: Water Reed, Wheat Reed and Long Straw. We will always strive to find a thatched property insurance solution for you, even in cases where different materials have been combined to differing depths. No matter what construction your roof encompasses or whether your home is grade 1,2 or 3 listed – contact us or give us a call on 01442 24 24 00.

  • Thatched property owners can become restricted in some areas depending on the individual Grade Listings for each building.

    The following tips may help you bring down the cost of your thatched property insurance:

    • Chimney Inspections – have the chimneys inspected annually by a qualified contractor
    • Door Security – front and rear doors should have 5 lever mortice deadlocks and bolts
    • Roof Inspections – arrange for annual roof or ridge inspections by hiring a qualified Thatcher and address all recommended repairs
    • Fire Security – there must be 1-2 fire extinguishers and smoke alarms on each floor of the property
    • Electrical Inspections – arrange for regular inspections with a qualified contractor and fix any remedial works to keep the electrics in the property properly maintained
    • Secure your property with window locks, screws and catches
  • Most thatched home owners who have lived in their property for a significant time will already have required the services of a local thatcher. However, if you’ve only just bought your thatched home or can’t contact your usual surveyor, you’ll need to contact someone if things go wrong.

    AIC is unique in having an approved thatcher’s database around the UK, monitored by our team as well as regional associations in order to ensure consistent quality of work. We have ongoing relationships with several qualified professional thatcher’s, ready to be called upon as soon as you need assistance. We offer an unparalleled service in which you can be assured that all repairs will be carried out by trusted craftsmen whenever you need to make a claim on your thatched property insurance. Does your current home insurer offer this service?

  • Whether you need cover for everything or you’re just concerned over one specific piece of cover, we can formulate a bespoke package of insurance around your business.

  • A dedicated account handler will look after you, from sales through to claims, so you’ll always know who you’re dealing with.

  • Our pricing is constantly monitored and from a wide range of insurers, so you’ll always get the best quote.

  • We are partnered with EAMTA to ensure a quality of service is brought to you by our approved repairers.

    We’ve also teamed up with NEG who operate a national boarding up and emergency repair service. All of our clients are pre-approved for this service to ensure you’re kept safe and secure in the quickest of times. Feel free to call them on 0844 7044 999.

    We also work with one of UK’s leading suppliers of Thatch Fireboards, Membranes, Insulation and Fire Retardant Spray. Their advice has proved invaluable to architects, builders, surveyors, thatchers and property owners. You can find out more at

Need help?

Talk to one of our friendly consultants to assess your needs and find a bespoke insurance solution to suit your business.

How to make a claim

Whilst you normally have an emergency phone number stated on your policy documents, we always recommend talking to your account handler first.

Accreditations and Awards
Frequently Asked Questions
  • That’s a tough question to answer without first establishing what cover you exactly need. Perhaps you want your premises covered, or maybe you just want the legal minimum cover required such as liability or vehicles? The good news is that we at AIC as brokers, have more insurers available on our panel than nearly any other firm, so we’re bound to find you the most competitive market price on whatever your insurance needs.

    We’ll always recommend starting with a conversation with our helpful and friendly staff, so we can assess your needs and find the right bespoke insurance solution for you.

  • Great question, and the insurance you need for thatched property is not that different to normal home insurance in what it covers. You still want protection for your most valuable assets being the buildings and/or contents. The real difference is which insurer will you end up with, and how much you’ll pay in premiums. Thatched properties are termed as ‘non-standard’ in the world of insurers, and there’s far less insurers willing to cover them.

    We at AIC have access to most insurance carriers willing to quote for Non-Standard homes, and we always recommend you start by having a conversation with one of our experienced staff.

    Visit our main website page for Thatched Property Cover and Quotes by clicking here.

  • We at AIC always recommend to air on the side of caution, and disclose everything to ourselves, and we can help you decide if this information needs to be told to insurers, which normally it does.

    There are different rules to follow from various sources, as an insurer may ask you to declare convictions in the last 10 years, whereas the rehabilitation act may dictate that you don’t need to declare it for more than say 5 years. DVLA may give you a different answer again for motoring convictions! Talk to one of our friendly consultants and let us help you.

  • Using a dedicated insurance broker provides benefits completely unseen when using a comparison site. With AIC, you’re afforded your own dedicated account manager who specialises in the cover you are seeking. Getting to know our clients is paramount to our customer service dedication and getting to know you AND your requirements is part of that. When you use a price comparison website, you are quite literally just a number and just a click-cost.

  • With any type of cover it is important to present insurers with all the information that will or could possibly affect the way they look at the risk. If this is not provided, insurers have the right to walk away from a claim, to change terms at the time of a claim, or reduce an amount paid depending on which law the insurance adheres to.

    A good insurance broker (like AIC) should not be afraid to ask the right questions of a potential policy holder, or suggest ideas that will help in the risk management of the cover in question. Insurance is there to help you in the event of a problem, and it makes no sense to cut corners on something so important. We’re here to help you!

  • We hate call centres as much as you! Our phones will never be answered by a call centre and only by a staff member. You only deal with your allocated account advisor, so you know who you will be dealing with every time you need to reach out to us.

  • There are two main ways you can pay your insurance: the full sum to cover the next 12 months upfront, or in 12 monthly instalments over an annual period.

    The major drawback to monthly payments is paying by instalment usually makes the total cost of cover higher than it would be if you paid in one go. This is because the insurance company is effectively lending you the money to pay the premium, so it will charge you what amounts to interest on the repayments you make across the year.

    By paying In full you are clearing your entire payment all in one go, meaning the insurance company won’t have to lend you the money and you won’t be due any premiums on the loan.

  • Great question and one we can of course help you with! Business insurance premiums are arrived at by the analysis of your likeliness to have a loss. When you apply for coverage, your information will be analysed by an underwriter who is responsible for determining whether or not they will consider writing a policy for you. Each business has completely different circumstances and we highly advise you to get in contact with us so we can understand and advise in the best possible way.

Talk to one of our friendly consultants to assess your needs and find a bespoke insurance solution to suit your business.

01442 24 24 00

7 High St, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 3AA